What do families know about PBIS in your school?
In what aspects of PBIS implementation do families and the School Leadership Team agree? Disagree?
These are just a few of the questions that many of our PBIS schools have asked. In response, the Vermont PBIS State Team has partnered with the Family Support Consultants at the Vermont Family Network to develop two compatible family engagement surveys and accompanying resources.
One version of the survey is for the School Leadership Team to complete as a group. The other version is for families to complete either in writing or by interview. Each survey has the same seven questions and is slightly adapted for each audience. This makes it easy to compare survey responses and help schools focus on making improvements.
Interested in using these surveys?
Here is a list of suggested steps:
- Create a memo to families asking them to complete the survey. Here is a sample memo as a guide.
- Decide how and when to distribute the Family Survey to families, parents and/or guardians so that you receive at least 15 responses evenly distributed across the grade levels. You can create an online survey using Survey Monkey, distribute hard copies (e.g., parent/teacher conferences, back-to-school night, etc.), and/or interview parents one-on-one.
- Complete the School Leadership Team Survey as a group. Jot down notes from the Team’s discussion that may be pertinent to action planning.
- Record responses from both surveys using the Scoring Form and Action Plan template. This template includes links to categories of PBIS-specific resources to help in action planning.
- Develop and implement an action plan to address items that you would like to improve. Refer to the PBIS Family Engagement Resources for ideas.
- If you have questions or suggestions, please contact [email protected]
VTPBIS Family Engagement Surveys – School Leadership Team version 1.0 & Family Version 1.0, January 2016. Prepared by Vermont Family Network and the Vermont Positive Behavioral Interventions & Support State Team