What is PBIS at the Intensive Level?
The intensive level of VTPBIS is designed to provide a continuum of individualized, comprehensive, and team-based interventions for students with complex issues whose needs have not been adequately addressed with less intensive PBIS interventions at the Universal and Targeted levels.
Students receiving supports at the Intensive Level of PBIS also access the interventions and supports in place at the Universal and Targeted Levels but may need further assessment and individualized planning. Some students with complex needs across home, school and community may need Intensive Level Wraparound supports.
Getting Involved at the Intensive Level
If you would like to attend the VTPBIS Intensive Level training, there are a series of steps that your school and supervisory union or district must take. Below we list the necessary steps from learning about the approach through a webinar, checking readiness, and completing a few pre-requisite team activities prior to training.
Steps to Implementation:
Please use this checklist to track completion of training and implementation readiness steps. This checklist needs to be submitted to Anne Dubie at [email protected] at least two weeks prior to training. If you have any questions, contact your VTPBIS State TA.
STEP 1: Intensive Level Orientation Webinar
This orientation webinar is required for PBIS school coordinators and SU/District coordinators before attending VTPBIS Intensive Level Leadership Team Training.
Register for the orientation webinar:
The orientation webinar agenda includes:
- Overview of PBIS at the Intensive Level
- Introduction to strategies in the following areas:
- Systems supports needed at the Intensive Level:Readiness Criteria and Next Steps
- Process for identifying students
- Creating a teaming structure
STEP 2: Check that You Meet Readiness Criteria
- Confirm that your school has participated in the VTPBIS Targeted Training and is currently implementing PBIS at the Targeted Level.
- Confirm that your school achieved a score of 80%/80% on the SET and/or 70% on the Tiered Fidelity Inventory (TFI)
- Complete the VTPBIS Intensive Readiness Checklist 2018 and email it to Anne Dubie two weeks prior to the training.
STEP 3: Watch the Intensive Level Family Engagement Recorded Webinar
- All team members should also watch the brief (13 minute) recorded webinar on Intensive Level Family Engagement created by the Vermont Family Network.
- This should be watched as a team and can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuZsh9Xd8Ho&feature=youtu.be.
STEP 4: Complete the Family Engagement Checklist
- After watching the family engagement webinar, your team should complete the Family Engagement Checklist.
- You can download the checklist and complete it here.
STEP 5: Identify Students Who Need Intensive Level Supports
- Your team should identify 1-3 students who could benefit from intensive level supports in the fall.
- Please bring information and student data (e.g., Functional Behavior Assessment, behavior support plan, ODRs) on these students to the intensive level training.
STEP 6: Attend VTPBIS Intensive Level Leadership Team Training
- Attend one of the Intensive Leadership Team Trainings (Required)
For Eligible VTPBIS School Leadership Teams
School leadership teams that have implemented VTPBIS at the targeted level and have completed the VTPBIS Intensive Level Readiness Checklist are eligible to attend this 2 day training* on the Intensive level of VTPBIS. This training will provide the content and facilitation needed to support school teams in preparing for implementation at the Intensive level. School Leadership teams will:
- Complete an inventory of Targeted practices that can be adapted for individualized supports
- Increase knowledge and fluency about the Intensive level of VTPBIS;
- Identify the systems functions, responsibilities and roles at the intensive level;
- Develop strategies for building effective Behavior Intervention Plans;
- Understand the features of individualized supports including:
- Setting Goals
- Explore the data systems needed to facilitate effective Behavior Intervention Plans
Who should attend? VTPBIS leadership team participants should include, at a minimum, the administrator, a teacher, special educator and FBA staff.
STEP 7: Follow-Up Coaching
- Your State TA will help you arrange with a VTPBIS coach for 10 hours of follow-up implementation coaching to help install PBIS at the Intensive level.
Want More Resources?
Watch a recorded webinar to get a better overview, review our training Power Point slides, or use any of our other implementation resources and tools to get started.