Thank you for your interest in strengthening your PBIS implementation! The Refreshing, Enhancing, and Deepening Universal PBIS training provides opportunities for schools at any level of PBIS implementation to explore ways to strengthen their Universal implementation. Teams take a deep dive into implementation strengths and needs in the areas of equity and cultural responsiveness, student and family voice, systems, and practices in each of the Universal core components: revisiting purpose; defining and refining expectations; teaching, practicing, and acknowledging prosocial behavior; preventing and responding instructionally to concerning behavior through a continuum of supports; and making decisions based on data.
The training differentiates content and activities based on individual school needs and school data. Schools may choose to attend in order to address needs including deepening an already established Universal implementation; ensuring equity and cultural responsiveness; increasing implementation fidelity; building momentum and staff skill and commitment; responding to staff and/or administrator turnover; expanding/strengthening practices; refining systems; using data more effectively; and/or keeping up to date with PBIS best practices. Schools that have not trained at Universal for some time, that have not been able to access coaching, or that began implementing during the pandemic are especially encouraged to attend.
STEPS TO REFRESHING, ENHANCING, AND DEEPENING UNIVERSAL PBIS
Please use the VTPBIS Refreshing, Enhancing, and Deepening Training Readiness Checklist to track completion of training and implementation readiness steps. Submit the completed checklist to Anne Dubie at [email protected] at least two weeks prior to training. If you have any questions, contact the VTPBIS State Technical Assistance Provider (TA) for your SD/SU.
STEP 1: Get Started
- PBIS coordinator, principal, or assistant principal: Contact the VTPBIS State Technical Assistance Provider (TA) for your SD/SU to indicate your team’s interest in being trained at the Refreshing, Enhancing, and Deepening level. Your TA will help you complete the following steps.
- PBIS team members watch the new Intro to PBIS Microlearning videos. This will take 25-30 minutes. Certificate of attendance for documentation of professional development is available upon request.
- What areas of need do you see at your school?
- What segments/information might be important to share with staff before you go to the training?
- Meet with your VTPBIS TA to develop your team’s pre-training plan. This will include:
- Identifying team needs (representation, professional development, etc.).
- Determining content and format for sharing information with staff prior to training.
- Gathering staff, student, and family/caregiver input about social/emotional/behavioral needs and the “compelling why” for refreshing/enhancing/deepening Universal PBIS.
- Deciding whether the SAS or School Climate Survey (or both) will be most useful for refreshing/enhancing/deepening your Universal PBIS.
STEP 2: Complete Readiness Activities
- Identify PBIS team members to attend Refreshing, Enhancing, and Deepening Universal PBIS training in either in the Spring or at the BEST/VTmtss Summer Institute in June. PBIS team members participating in the training should include the principal and/or assistant principal, school PBIS coordinator, Supervisory Union/School District PBIS coordinator, other representative staff members, and, if possible, student and/or family/caregiver representative(s).
- Register and pay for your team to attend Refreshing, Enhancing, and Deepening Universal PBIS training.
- Administrator or coordinator: Contact the SD/SU grants manager to request BEST/Act 230 (or local) funds for implementation coaching and professional development for the upcoming school year. It is important to share this need with the grants coordinator well in advance of the grant submission deadline (typically end of June).
STEP 3: Collect and Review Data to Use During Refreshing, Enhancing, and Deepening Universal PBIS Training (your TA will guide you through this process)
- Complete processes for gathering data about social/emotional/behavioral needs from staff, students and families/caregivers.
- As a team, review data gathered from staff, students, and families/caregivers about social/emotional/behavioral needs. Consider whether and how current school-wide expectations: (1) address these needs, (2) are culturally responsive, and (3) should be kept or updated. Share and collect feedback about identified needs and any potential changes in school-wide expectations with staff, students, and families/caregivers.
- Complete baseline PBIS Assessments:
- Team completes the Tiered Fidelity Inventory (TFI) with TA or coach no later than May 31st. On-site Learning Walks are recommended.
- Complete one or both:
- If your school has other school climate data available (e.g. Panorama), ensure that it is accessible for your team to use during training.
- Each team member planning to attend the training: Complete the Refreshing, Enhancing, and Deepening Pre-Training Survey. This will enable the trainers to shape the training to meet the needs of the participants and school teams.
- Submit VTPBIS Refreshing, Enhancing, and Deepening Level Readiness Checklist to Anne Dubie at [email protected].
STEP 4: Refreshing, Enhancing, and Deepening Universal PBIS Training and Implementation
- Attend Refreshing, Enhancing, and Deepening Universal PBIS Training Training (Spring or BEST/VTmtss Summer Institute).
- Arrange for follow-up coaching for the coming school year.
- Attend additional professional development (see VTPBIS Professional Learning calendar)
- Navigating SWIS webinar (September) (if new to using SWIS)
- VTPBIS Coordinators’ Welcome Back webinar (September)
- VTPBIS Annual Forum (October)
- Data Days (in-person or webinar) (Fall)
- Coordinators’ Learning and Networking meetings (January & May)
- Other PD opportunities as pertinent
Want More Resources?
Watch a recorded webinar to get a better overview, review our training Power Point slides, or use any of our other implementation resources and tools to get started.